Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Making Fun of Sister Sarah - The International Language


One technique for ending adversarial relationships is finding common ground. We may have found common ground with the middle east - at least Saudi Arabia. Apparently, Saudis like to make fun of Sarah Palin too.

When Hillary Clinton recently held a town meeting in the Arab country, the following transpired: "Does the prospect of Sarah Palin one day becoming president maybe terrify you?" the student asked. "And if so, would you consider emigrating to Canada or possibly even Russia?"

She laughed heartily at the question and said no, she would not emigrate from the US, but she would visit a lot.

Do you know what terrifies me? This student in Saudi Arabia knows that Sister Sarah is an ignorant tool, but large numbers of Americans think she should be our next President. To quote Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does." Well, supporting Palin in any election - and I mean any - is STUPID. And anyone who does it is, IMO, STUPID.

I will grant one except to the sweeping judgment of stupidity: it is possible that someone could vote for Palin because he or she simply hates this country. That could be. Though aside from malice and stupidity, I see no rational basis to ever take her seriously. And this bright young man from Saudi Arabia agrees with me.

So with this common ground, I hope that our Secretary of State can forge a better relationship with the Arab world. After all, if enemy of my enemy is my friend, then surely the other people who mock the redneck wolf-shooting moron are my friends as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment